Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. ~ Zechariah 9:9 ~
This is the prophecy of our Lord's triumphal entry into Jerusalem which we celebrate today. There are several things to note:
1) The prophecy was made over 500 years before the event.
2) Jerusalem is commanded to rejoice and so are we. Remember that our Saviour is a Jewish man as well as God in human flesh.
3) He comes in humility for He will die for our sins, on the cross, whether we be Jew or Gentile.
4) He is righteous, reflecting the character of God. Hebrews Ch.1 says that the Son is the exact representation of God's nature. Peter says that "in his lips is no guile".
5) He is endowed with salvation. He is God's gift of love to the world, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
Hallelujah, what a Saviour!